Monday, June 8, 2009

Memory triggers

Well in an effort to clear things up around here, I've been skimming magazines before they go to the local senior center and came across a great story by a food writer in Food and Wine. He was remembering a meal of a very long time ago and then I watched a small amount of Iron Chef as they fixed octopus about 15 different ways. The point being (please!) I have no great octopus stories but thought of a wonderful trip to Spain more than thirty years ago and eating at a particular Posada one night. Now my former husband and I were very much newbies at travel especially foreign but fairly adventurous about eating all types of ethnic food - as long as it was cooked! I don't remember what I ordered that night but he had the stuffed calamari and it was wonderful much better than whatever I had. The stuffing was a chorizo or chorizo style sausage and perhaps bread and the two white tubes of squid lay side by side with the whole dish resembling some kind of pasta rolls like chubby manicotti. Whatever it was, it tasted great. Apparently my few my experiences with octopus were not as memorable as I can't find them in the memory bank.

That trip was also our first experience with having Churros. They dropped a continuous circle of batter into huge pans of hot oil and just kept cutting off hunks for customers. A strong shake of granulated sugar and yours was handed to you on white paper along with your espresso or stronger stuff if that was your preference for breakfast. The bar we stood at was in some tiny Spanish town, open to the narrow street and on the balcony across was a large bird cage with a canary singing away in full form. Now at that time I lived in Minnesota so any thought of having my birds outside was very exotic. I can close my eyes today and picture the whole scene.

Spain is one of our favorite destinations and a few months ago we visited Barcelona which was spectacular.

Mary

No comments: